Hefei University of Technology

FAQ about Hefei University of Technology, China

1. I really want to study at your University, but I can’t speak Chinese, can I be instructed in English?

Answer: Master’s degree and doctoral degree programs can be fully instructed in English.

2. How is the living standard in Hefei city? What about the canteen in the University?

Answer: While living costs in the city are rising, the cost of living can be affordable and even relatively lower than for other major cities. For example, about 150USD per month for your food. Canteens at Hefei University of Technology is well-known and renowned as its delicious Chinese food with reasonable price and rich collection among students even other people. International students will have great food experience on campus canteens.

3. How can I arrive in Hefei city, the location of University?

Answer: If there is no direct flight, the recommended flight is transit from Hong Kong to Hefei (around 2.5 hours), or transit from Beijing to Hefei (around 1.5 hours), or transit from Shanghai to Hefei (around 40 min), or transit from Guangzhou to Hefei (around 1.2 hours). Students can choose the travel route according to their location. 

4. Can you send a vehicle to take us from the local airport to the University?

Answer: Yes, the university can provide airport pick up service for the students in group from Hefei Xinqiao International Airport. Students should send detailed departure schedule to us minimum 3 days in advance so that we can pick up without any delay. Airport Pick-up Service is only available during Registration time. If Airport Pick-up service is not available, student may come to university by taxi, or airport bus shuttle.

5. How can I exchange some Chinese currency for my pocket money when I just arrived in China?

Answer: Students can exchange some Chinese currency in bank for shuttle/bus ticket fare and pocket money at big international airport when they arrive in China. And students can buy telephone card from business counter in the airport to give international call and domestic call if students need. 

6. How are the transportation, telecom and internet in Hefei City? 

Answer: There are 1 airport, 2 train stations and many buses to most cities in China and many foreign cities. There are convenient public facilities for telecom and internet, you can buy telecom card to call in any time. There is internet access in international students’ dormitories and they just need to pay the fees according to their use. There are also lots of internet pubs for going on internet.

7. How is the climate in Hefei City?

Answer: Hefei features a humid subtropical climate with four distinct seasons. Hefei's annual average temperature is 15.83 °C (60.5 °F). Its annual precipitation is just under 1,000 millimeters (39 in), being heavier from May through August. Winters are damp and cold, with January lows dipping just below freezing and January averaging 2.6 °C (36.7 °F). The city sees irregular snowfalls that rarely turn significant. Springs are generally relatively pleasant if somewhat erratic. Summers here are oppressively hot and humid, with a July average of 28.1 °C (82.6 °F).

8. How is China’s Engineering Education in the world?

Answer: China is the largest producer of engineering graduates in the world.

9. How is China’s Business and Management Education in the world?

Answer: China has become the second largest economic entity, which has made China an influential role in the global economy.

10. Can a student open a Bank Account? 

Answer: Yes, a student could open a bank account in his name to keep his surplus money safe. He could also use this account to have his family remit any additional money as required. 

11. Is learning Chinese language compulsory? 

Answer: Even some programs are taught in English, but international students must study Chinese language according to Ministry of Education, China. Chinese language classes are just offered three times per week, and international students are required to pass the basic level. Besides, it will be helpful for students in daily life if they learn some Chinese language. For the programs in Chinese international students will be required to take one year of Chinese language before start their major. 

12. What is the voltage used in China? 

Answer: The voltage here is 220 V. Converters and power strips may be purchased locally.

13. Useful public contact number in China:

Answer: Fire: 119

Police Station: 110

Time Report: 12117

Telephone Directory: 114

Telephone Repair: 112

Emergency Ambulance: 120

Earthquake Advisory Service: 2042691



The final information is subject to the University If there is any discrepancy!