Xi'an Jiaotong University

FAQ about Xi'an Jiaotong University, China

1. I really want to study at your University, but I can’t speak Chinese, can I be instructed in English?

Answer: The program is fully English medium program.

2. Can I ask for the airport pick-up upon my arrival? Do I need to pay for this service?

Answer: Yes. The pick-up service is 300 CNY/time. If pick up service is needed, international students need to send detailed departure, transfer and arrival schedule to us minimum 3 days ahead of their expected arrival so that the University can pick up without any delay.

3. How is the living standard in Xi'an city? What about the canteen in the University?

Answer: The living expense here is about 150 USD for your food per month. There is a special canteen for international students and two Muslim canteens are available.

4. How can I arrive in Xi'an city, the location of University?

Answer: If there is no direct flight to Xi’an city, then recommended flight is transit from Hong Kong to Xi'an (around 2 hours and 40 minutes), or transit from Beijing to Xi'an (around 2 hours and 10 minutes), or transit from Shanghai to Xi'an (around 2.5 hours). Students can choose the travel route according to their location.

5. How is the climate in Xi'an City?

Answer: Xi'an has a temperate continental monsoon climate, with four distinct seasons and average temperature is 13.68 °C (56.6 °F). 

6. Can a student open a Bank Account? 

Answer: Yes, a student could open a bank account in his name to keep his surplus money safe. He could also use this account to have his family remit any additional money as required.

7. How can I exchange some Chinese currency for my pocket money when I just arrived in China?

Answer: Students can exchange some Chinese currency in bank for shuttle/bus ticket fare and pocket money in the big international airport when they arrive in China. And students can buy telephone card from business counter in the airport to give international call and domestic call if students need.

8. Is learning Chinese language compulsory? 

Answer: Even though the program is taught in English, but international students must study Chinese language according to Ministry of Education, China. Chinese language classes are just offered three times per week, and international students are required to pass the basic level. Besides, it will be helpful for students in daily life if they learn some Chinese language

9. How are the transportation, telecom and internet in Xi'an City? 

Answer: there is one international airport, three train stations and subway. There are convenient public facilities for telecom and internet, you can buy telecom card to call any time and there are lots of public internet bars.

10. How is China’s Engineering Education in the world?

Answer: China is the largest producer of engineering graduates in the world.

11. How is China’s Business and Management Education in the world?

Answer: China has become the second largest economic entity, which has made China an influential role in the global economy.

12. What is the voltage used in China? 

Answer: The voltage here is 220 V. Converters and power strips may be purchased locally.

13. Useful public contact number in China:

Answer: Fire: 119

Police Station: 110

Time Report: 12117

Telephone Directory: 114

Telephone Repair: 112

Emergency Ambulance: 120

Earthquake Advisory Service: 2042691



The final information is subject to the University If there is any discrepancy!