Zhejiang University of Media and Communications

FAQ about Zhejiang University of Media and Communications, China

1. I really want to study at your University, but I can’t speak Chinese, can I be instructed in English?

Answer: The program is fully English medium program.

2. How is the living standard in Hangzhou city? What about the canteen in the University?

Answer: The living here is about 150USD/month for food cost. There are several campus canteens in Zhejiang University of Media and Communications, providing various delicious dishes with favorable price to the students. A Muslim window is open to the students.

3. How can I arrive in Hangzhou city, the location of University?

Answer: If there is no direct flight to Hangzhou, the recommended flight is transit from Beijing to Hangzhou (around 2 hours and 10 minutes), or transit from Guangzhou to Hangzhou (around 2 hours), or transit from Hong Kong to Hangzhou (around 2 hours and 20 minutes), or transit from Shanghai to Hangzhou by High Speed Rail (around 1 hour). Students can choose the travel route according to their location.

4. Can you send a vehicle to take us from the local airport to the University?

Answer: Zhejiang University of Media and Communications provides Airport Pick-up service to international students in group from the local airport - Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport to the campus. But international students should send detailed schedule of departure, transfer and arrival to us in advance so that the university can pick up without any delay.

5. How can I exchange some Chinese currency for my pocket money when I just arrived in China?

Answer: Students can exchange some Chinese currency in bank for shuttle/bus ticket fare and pocket money in big airport when they arrive in China. And students can buy telephone card from business counter in the airport to give international call and domestic call if students need.

6. How are the transportation, telecom and internet in Hangzhou City?

Answer: there is 1 airport, 3 train stations, 2 lines and many buses to most cities in China and many foreign cities. There are convenient public facilities for telecom and internet, you can buy telecom card to call in any time and there are also lots of internet pubs for going on internet.

7. How is the climate in Hangzhou City?

Answer: Hangzhou has a subtropical monsoon climate with four distinct seasons. It is warm and humid with sufficient sunshine and plentiful rainfall. Spring and autumn are short, winter and summer are long. Its average annual temperature was 17.3 °C(63.14°F).

8. Can a student open a Bank Account?

Answer: Yes, a student could open a bank account in his name to keep his surplus money safe. He could also use this account to have his family remit any additional money as required.

9. Is learning Chinese language compulsory?

Answer: Even though the program is instructed in English, but international students must study Chinese language according to Ministry of Education, China. Chinese language classes are just offered in the first two years, three times per week, and international students are required to pass the basic level. Besides, it will be helpful for students in daily life if they learn some Chinese language.

10. What is the voltage used in China?

Answer: The voltage here is 220 V. Converters and power strips may be purchased locally.

11. Useful public contact number in China:

Answer: Fire: 119

Police Station: 110

Time Report: 12117

Telephone Directory: 114

Telephone Repair: 112

Emergency Ambulance: 120

Earthquake Advisory Service: 2042691



The final information is subject to the University If there is any discrepancy!