Atmospheric Sciences is the subject that studies the various phenomena of the atmosphere (including the impact of human activities on it), the evolution rules of these phenomena, and how to use these rules to serve humans. Atmospheric science is a part of earth sciences. Its main research object is to cover the whole atmosphere of the earth. In addition, the atmosphere of other planets in the solar system is also studied. The atmosphere, especially in the low layer atmosphere of the earth’s surface, and the related hydrosphere, lithosphere, biosphere is the main environment for human survival.
2. Branch Disciplines
Atmospheric sounding, climatology, synoptic, dynamic meteorology, atmospheric physics, atmospheric chemistry, artificial influence on weather, applied meteorology, etc.
3. Research Characteristics
1) Cannot be confined to the atmosphere
2) Nature is the experimental base
3) International cooperation promotes development
4. Training Objectives
Atmospheric sciences train senior specialized personnel with basic theory, basic knowledge and basic skills of atmospheric sciences, can be engaged in atmospheric physics and atmospheric environment, atmospheric sounding, meteorology, climatology, meteorology application and related disciplines for scientific research, teaching, technology development and related management work.
5. Training Requirements
The students mainly study the basic theory and basic knowledge of atmospheric sciences and other aspects, receive basic training in scientific thinking and scientific experiments (including field practice and laboratory experiment), with good scientific literacy, with basic skills of humanities basic research or applied research, theoretical analysis, data processing and computer application, with strong ability to update knowledge and the ability to adapt to a wide range of sciences.
6. Knowledge and Skills
1) Master the basic theories and knowledge of mathematics, physics, chemistry, and computer and so on;
2) Basic theory, basic knowledge and basic skills of atmospheric science, mastering the basic methods of atmospheric detection technology and analysis;
3) Understand the general principles and knowledge of similar professional;
4) Understand the science and technology development, environmental protection, intellectual property rights and other relevant policies and regulations;
5) Know the theory development cutting-edge and the latest development of atmospheric science and related disciplines;
6) Master the basic method of data information, document retrieval and using modern information technology to obtain information related; has certain ability of experimental design, creating conditions for the experiment, induction, collation, analysis of the experimental results, writing papers, participating in academic exchanges.
7. Main Subjects
Atmospheric science, environmental science
8. Main Courses
Introduction to atmospheric science (introduction to earth science), atmospheric physics, atmospheric detection, weather, atmospheric dynamics basis and basis of modern climatology, etc
9. Practice Teaching
Synoptic meteorology practice, atmospheric exploration practice and graduation thesis, the general arrangement is 10-20 weeks.
10. Similar Majors
Atmospheric science, climate physics, artificial influence on weather, atmosphere detection system, lightning science and technology, applied meteorology, agricultural resources and environment, remote sensing science and technology, engineering surveying and mapping, geographic information system, resources, environment and urban planning management
11. Employment Prospects
Graduates are mainly engaged in scientific research, teaching, technology development and related management work of atmospheric physics, atmospheric environment, atmospheric sounding, meteorology, climatology, applied meteorology and related disciplines.