Bioinformatics is the discipline that studies the collection, processing, storage, transmission, analysis, and interpretation of biological information and a new subject formed by the combination of life science and computer science with the rapid development of life science and computer science. Through the comprehensive utilization of biology, computer science and information technology, it reveals complex biological mysteries endowed by biological data.
Bioinformatics is the science of the storage, retrieval and analysis of biological information in the research of life science. The research focus is mainly reflected in genomics and proteomics. In particular, it starts from the DNA and protein sequences, analyzing expressed sequence in the structure and function of biological information.
2. Research Directions
Gene recognition analysis
Sequence contigs assembly
3. Research Methods
1) The establishment of the database
2) Biological data retrieval
3) Biological data processing
4) The use of biological data: computational biology
4. Mathematical Problems
Paradox of statistics
Hypothesis of metric space
5. Training Objectives
Bioinformatics specialty trains senior scientific and technical personnel with good molecular biology, computer science and technology, mathematical and statistical literacy, grasp the basic theory and methodology of biological information, have the basic ability of biological information collection, analysis, mining, use, etc., can be engaged in scientific research institutions, colleges and universities, medical and pharmaceutical, environmental protection and other relevant departments and industries for teaching, scientific research, management, disease molecular diagnosis, drug design, biological software development, environmental microbiological monitoring.
6. Training Requirements
The students mainly study the basic theory and method of bioinformatics; have basic training for scientific experiments and scientific thinking, with good molecular biology, computer science and technology, mathematical and statistical literacy, with biological information collection, analysis, discovery and utilization and so on, with good professional quality.
7. Knowledge and Skills
1) Master the basic knowledge and experimental skills of general biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, and genetics and so on;
2) Master the basic knowledge of computer science and technology and programming skills, (including computer application basis, Linux based and its application, database system principle, pattern recognition and prediction and biological software and database, the Perl programming foundation), and has a strong mathematical and statistical literacy;
3) Master the basic theory and method of bioinformatics, genomics, computational biology, proteomics, principle and technology of biochip, with initially ability of comprehensive use of the knowledge and skills in molecular biology, computer science and technology, mathematics, statistics and so on, to solve the basic issues of biological information;
4) Master the basic method of bioinformatics data query, literature retrieval and using modern information technology to obtain information related, with certain ability of experimental design, result analysis, writing papers, participating in academic exchanges.
5) Familiar with the policies and regulations of the biological information industry policy, intellectual property and biological safety regulations;
6) understand the theoretical frontiers, application prospects and the latest developments of bioinformatics;
7) With good scientific and humanistic quality, with strong self-learning ability, innovation ability and the ability to solve problems independently.
8. Main Subjects
Biology, mathematics, computer science
9. Main Courses
General biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, bioinformatics, computational biology, genomics and biological chip principle and technology, proteomics, pattern recognition and prediction, principles of database systems, Linux based applications, bio software and data base, Perl programming basis and so on.
10. Practice Teaching
Social survey, teaching practice, course thesis, comprehensive practice and graduation thesis, etc
11. Program Experiments
Biological chemistry and molecular biology experimental technique, pattern recognition and prediction experiments and biological software and database experiments, biological information science experiment, Perl programming experimental basis, genomics experiments, Linux foundation and application experiment and calculation of biological experiments, biological chip principle and experimental techniques, proteomics experiment and so on.
12. Employment Prospects
Students after graduation can be engaged in various bioinformatics research institutions, colleges and universities, enterprises and institutions and related departments relating to bioinformatics in research and industrialization process, for scientific research, teaching and management work.