Geophysics is one of the major disciplines of earth science, a comprehensive subject through the quantitative physical methods (methods such as: seismic elastic wave, gravity, geomagnetism, geoelectricity, geothermal and radiation energy) to study the earth and looking for mineral resources of the earth interior, the scope of the study includes the earth's crust, mantle and core and atmosphere. Geophysics has many branches of study, including: solid earth physics, geodynamics, seismology, geodesy, geothermics, geomagnetism, hydrological geography, oceanography, meteorology, core tectonics and geophysics, comparative planetology, tectonophysics and geodetic astronomy; research contents include the internal structure of the earth, theoretical source, seismic wave propagation theory, characteristics of continental crust in large scale, such as plate subduction zone and the mid ocean ridge. Traditional geophysics mainly refers to the solid earth physics and modern geophysical research extends to outside the earth's atmosphere phenomena (such as ionospheric dynamo, auroral electrojets, magnetopause current system), and even extends to the physical properties of the planets and their satellites.
2. Research Content
The research content of geophysics can be divided into two categories: applied and theory geophysics. The research scope of applied geophysics (also known as exploration geophysics) is quite extensive, mainly including energy exploration, metal and nonmetal exploration, environment and engineering exploration, etc. Exploration geophysics uses the development of geophysics method for prospecting and looking for oil, engineering and environmental monitoring, and structural studies. Methods including seismic prospecting, electrical prospecting, gravity survey, magnetic prospecting, geophysical well logging and radioactive exploration, through advanced geophysical measuring instruments, measurements from underground geophysical information, the information of the measured for analysis, processing, inversion and interpretation, thus it can be inferred that underground structure and distribution of mineral resources. Exploration geophysics is the main subject of the reconnaissance and detection of oil, metal and non-metallic deposits, groundwater resources and large-scale engineering foundations.
3. Important Concepts
Generally speaking, geophysics is the science that uses physical methods to study the earth and other planets, various physical properties of earth, including the earth's interior and surface composition and the function of all kinds of natural and the change rule of. The fields can be distinguished by the following categories:
Research on earthquake, seismic wave and the science of earthquake related in the earth's interior, one of the most important scientific seismology is used to study the internal structure of the earth.
The science that studies the earth's gravity, studies the earth's gravity, gravity distribution, gravity field and other related properties.
Study the magnetic properties of the earth and atmosphere, mainly study the magnetic phenomena, sources, magnetic fields and so on.
The science that studies the earth's electric field in order to deduce the physical properties, composition and distribution of the earth's interior.
Study the earth's thermal, including the earth's temperature, internal heat flow, the distribution of surface temperature and the source of the earth's heat energy, etc.
6) Geophysical Prospecting
This is the use of geophysical techniques, including earthquake, geoelectro, gravity and geothermal, can be used in mining and exploration of oil, metal and non-metallic deposits, groundwater resources and engineering foundations.
4. Subject Application
1) Engaged in geological exploration, taking research work as the main direction, through a variety of geophysical methods to engage in geological research.
2) Prediction of natural disasters, using digital seismic network and station observation data as the basis, combined with gravity, deformation and other geophysical observation means, the kinematics and dynamics of the source, near fault ground motion and variation of gravity field of research, for the earthquake occurrence machine to forecast to provide theoretical guidance for research and earthquake.
3) Engaged in engineering exploration class
4) Exploration of petroleum and natural gas and coal field geological structure, looking for metal and nonmetal minerals
5) Make the corresponding geophysical software program design, geophysical instrument development, widely used in environmental protection, urban drainage, geology, metallurgy, health and epidemic prevention, commodity inspection, agriculture, fishery and education and scientific research fields.
6) Other engineering applications.
5. Training Objectives
The program trains senior specialized personnel with solid mathematical foundation and the basic theory, basic knowledge and basic skills of systematic geophysics, receive basic training for basic research and applied basic research, have good scientific literacy and ability of preliminary teaching, research, can work at scientific research institutions, colleges and universities or related technical and administrative departments engaged in scientific research, teaching, technology development and management work.
6. Training Requirements
The students mainly study the basic theory and basic knowledge of geophysics, receive training in scientific thinking and scientific experiment of the basic research and applied basic research, and grasp the basic skills in the research and development of the earth's deep structure, earthquake prediction, geophysical engineering, energy and mineral resources exploration and so on.
7. Knowledge and Skills
1) Master the basic theories and knowledge of mathematics, physics, and geology and so on;
2) Master the basic theories, basic knowledge and experimental skills of the earth physics, as well as the basic skills of the earth's deep structure, earthquake prediction, Geophysical Engineering, energy and mineral resources exploration;
3) understand the general principles and knowledge of similar majors;
4) Understand relevant policies and regulations of the science and technology, industrial policy, intellectual property rights and so on;
5) understand the theoretical frontier, application prospect and the latest development trend of the earth physics;
6) Master the basic method of data information, document retrieval and use of modern information technology to obtain information related; has certain ability of experimental design, creating conditions for the experiment, induction, collation, analysis of the experimental results, writing papers, participating in academic exchanges.
8. Main Subjects
Geology, physics, mathematics, signals and systems, computer technology
9. Main Courses
Seismology, gravity, geomagnetism, geoelectricity, geophysical observations, geophysical data processing, geophysical positive inversion and geophysical data interpretation, geology, electrodynamics, field theory, continuous medium mechanics, signal and system, equations of mathematical physics, integral variable change, complex variable function computer and information processing, etc.
10. Major Practical Teaching
The experiment and practice of the main courses, field geological practice, graduation practice, and the general arrangement is 6 weeks - 12 weeks.
11. Similar Programs
Geology, exploration technology and engineering, resource exploration engineering