Marine Biology is the science that studies the life phenomena, process and laws in the sea. It is a major subject of marine science, as well as an important branch of life science.
Marine biology is a comprehensive cross subject, mainly including the function of marine organisms, marine biodiversity and ecology of the three aspects of the content. It is the science that studies the origin, distribution, morphology and structure, evolution and succession characteristics of organisms in the sea and activity rules of life process of organisms; exploration of interaction and mutual influence between the marine organisms and between organisms and marine environment.
2. Learning Content
The research content of marine biological is extremely rich, and develops with the improvement of the marine survey means and development technology. It can be said that the various fields of biology, classification, morphology, distribution, ecology, physiology, biochemistry, genetics and so on, all have the corresponding development in marine biology.
3. Subject System
1) Marine biological taxonomy. Research various marine organisms by the boundary, the gate, the class, the order, the family, the genus and the species system. In general, marine organisms can be divided into 4 types, such as marine animals, marine plants, marine fungi and marine bacteria.
2) Marine biological morphology. Study the characteristics and rules of external and internal morphology of marine organisms.
3) The distribution of marine biota. Study the distribution and the law of life in the sea, to clarify the characteristics of the department and its relationship with the environment.
4) Marine ecology. Study the relationship between marine organisms and with the environment, focusing on food, and research the marine food chain (feeding and predator trophic relationships) and marine biological productivity (by assimilation of organic matter produced).
5) Marine biological, physiological, biochemical and genetic studies.
6) Biological oceanography. Study the marine phenomenon of biological formation.
4. Research Significance
1) The sea is the cradle of life, the development of life on earth about 3 billion years, of which more than 85% of marine life is spent entirely in the ocean. To study the origin and evolution of life, the work of marine biology cannot be separated from.
2) In the marine biology class, the category of animals is far more than the diversity of land and fresh water, many categories of animals can only live in the ocean. To understand the classification system of the whole organism and its evolution process, it is necessary to study marine biology.
3) Marine accounts for 71% of the earth's surface area, and a number of industrial waste collections, marine ecology research is not only conducive to the protection of biological living environment and directly related to development and utilization of marine biological resources.
Marine organisms have some special physiological function and biochemical characteristics, such as marine fishes and mammals swimming ability, echolocation and body temperature regulation have become the bionics of important research content.
5. Major Researches
1) Marine algae
2) Marine fish
3) Marine animal science
4) Marine population ecology
5) Individual ecology
6) Attached biological ecology
7) Marine experimental biology
8) Marine microorganisms
9) Marine primary productivity
10) Marine biology and medicine
11) Marine environmental biology
12) Pacific marine life
13) Antarctic coastal organisms