Marine Science is the knowledge system that studies the natural phenomena, the nature and changing laws of the sea, and which is related to the development and utilization of the ocean. Its object of study is the ocean, accounting for 71% of the earth's surface, including sea water, the material dissolved and suspended in seawater, creature living in marine, deposited in the bottom of the sea and ocean lithosphere, and the atmospheric boundary layer on the sea and estuarine and coastal zone. Therefore, marine science is an important part of earth science.
2. Main Content
Basic research on the physical, chemical, biological and geological processes in the ocean, and the application of the development and utilization of marine resources and maritime military activities, because of the complexity of the ocean itself and the complexity of the interaction of various natural processes and the main research methods and means, the marine science has become a comprehensive science. Marine science is actually developed in physics, chemistry, biology, and geography background, the formation of the marine meteorology, physical oceanography, marine chemistry, marine biology and marine geology majors.
3. Marine Characteristics
The ocean is an important part of the earth's hydrosphere, interdependent and interacts with atmosphere, lithosphere and biosphere, become a basic part to control the surface of the earth environment and life characteristics, and has the following characteristics:
1) The ocean is an important part of the atmosphere ocean system.
2) The sea is a key link between the organic and inorganic fields in the earth's surface.
3) Ocean as a physical system, which takes place a variety of different types and different scales of sea water movement and process, have a significant impact on the marine biological, chemical and geological processes.
4) The oceanic crust, as a structural unit of the global crust, has a series of characteristics different from the continental crust.
4. Research Characteristics
2) The overall trend
3) Direct observation
4) Technical equipment
5. Subject System
The research system of modern marine science can be divided into two parts, basic research and applied technology. Based on the natural phenomena and processes of the sea, the basic subjects of this study are to explore the law of its development, and the application of the technology is to study how to use these natural laws for human services.
The natural processes which have happened in the ocean, according to the intrinsic attributes, in general can be divided into four categories: physical process, chemical process, geological and biological processes; each class is composed of many individual process systems. The study of these four kinds of processes, corresponding to the formation of the relative independence of the four basic branches of marine science: marine physics, marine chemistry, marine geology and marine biology.
1) Applied Oceanography
2) Marine management
3) Atmospheric science
4) Applied meteorology
7. Training Objectives
Marine science program trains senior specialized talents with the basic theory, basic knowledge and basic skill of marine sciences, can be engaged in scientific research, teaching, management and technical work in the marine science and related fields.
8. Training Requirements
The students have basic theory and basic knowledge of mathematics, physics, and marine science; receive basic training in the marine scientific research, master basic research methods and experimental skills of marine science, with the ability of being engaged in the investigation of marine and marine scientific research.
9. Knowledge and Skills
1) Master the basic theories and knowledge of mathematics, physics, and chemistry and so on;
2) Master the basic theory and basic knowledge of marine science, with the basic ability to engage in marine research and research;
3) understand the general principles and knowledge of similar professional;
4) Familiar with the policies and regulations of the marine science and technology policy, intellectual property rights, safety regulations and other relevant policies and regulations;
5) understand the development trend of marine science, and can follow the direction of international marine science research;
6) Master the basic method of data information, document retrieval and use of modern information technology to obtain information related to; have certain ability of experimental design, creating conditions for the experiment, induction, collation, analysis of the experimental results, writing papers, participating in academic exchanges.
10. Main Subjects
Oceanography, chemistry, biology, geology
11. Main Courses
Higher mathematics, university physics and experimental, college chemistry and experiment, the introduction of ocean science, biological oceanography, marine geology, marine survey and observation technology (including internships at sea), etc
12. Practice Teaching
Oceanography practice, graduation thesis, the general arrangement is 10-20 weeks.
13. Similar Programs
Marine science, marine technology, marine management, military oceanography
14. Employment Prospects
Marine science graduates can be engaged in the investigation of marine resources development and utilization, environmental protection, marine aquaculture, marine affairs management, new technology, marine scientific research departments, the environmental protection department of scientific research; research and chemical experiment, chemical, petroleum, geology, aquatic products, the department of transportation to the work; investigation of marine sediment, marine the structure and mineral resources, coastal dynamic geomorphology and estuaries, coastal and marine geology etc.; geological exploration data and integrated interpretation of petroliferous basin; engineering geological exploration of the marine environment of estuaries and coastal zone, marine meteorological bureau, bureau of transportation, military system and other departments of the marine investigation and forecast work, the environmental protection department of the environmental assessment work; and for the oil sector, design and installation of offshore oil platform provides the analysis of relevant research work of ocean hydrological data of the harbor, Estuarine and coastal, shallow sea and deep sea area of the biological nature of the investigation, exploitation and utilization: in general biology, general oceanography and marine biology related science and technology information work; can be engaged in marine farming and aquaculture related biological research work; engaged in salt pans, comprehensive utilization of salt lake and salt pan biology; also can engaged in scientific research, teaching, technology development and management aspects of the work. The focus of employment in the field of marine transportation, marine fishery, marine oil and gas industry, coastal tourism, seawater utilization, marine pharmaceuticals, marine health products development, salt and salt chemical industry, marine services, marine power, extraction of seawater chemical elements, marine mining industry, and the emerging ocean space by utilities and so on.