Physical Oceanography is the science that takes physics theory, technology and methods to study the physical phenomena of the ocean and its variation rules, and studies the interaction between sea water and atmosphere, lithosphere and biosphere. It is an important branch of marine science, and has close relationship with atmospheric sciences, marine chemistry, marine geology, and marine biology, has important applications in the marine transportation, resource development, environmental protection, military activities, coastal facilities and subsea engineering.
2. Basic Content
1) Study seawater motions in a variety of temporal and spatial scales and their relations, especially in large and middle scale ocean atmosphere interaction and the spatial and temporal variability, and establish corresponding thermodynamics and fluid mechanics model, in order to improve the accuracy of weather and sea state forecasting.
2) Study the formation mechanism and frequency - wave number spectrum structure of all sorts of factors field of oceanography physics, especially in the ocean mesoscale vortex, internal waves, fine structure and ocean turbulence of seawater stratification.
3) Study the water masses and circulation structure of global ocean and the partitions.
4) Study the hydrological and physical characteristics of the global oceans, especially in the coastal area and the shelf area.
5) Study the method and technology of acoustic wave, optical radiation, radio wave, electromagnetic field in the ocean and the propagation of sound, light and electric technology to detect the ocean (including communication).
6) Study marine physics issues related to the development of marine resources, environmental protection, navigation, fishery and ocean engineering, etc.
3. Ocean Acoustics
Ocean acoustic is the subject that studies the propagation rule of acoustic waves in the sea water, sediments and seabed strata, and the application in the exploration and development of marine, the main research content includes ocean acoustic propagation and velocity distribution, sound absorption and acoustic scattering in the ocean, the natural noise, ocean water acoustic detection, submarine acoustic characteristics and submarine acoustic exploration and so on.
4. Marine Electromagnetism
Marine electromagnetism is mainly to study the electromagnetic characteristics of the ocean, the natural electromagnetic field and electromagnetic waves in the ocean and the patterns of motion and propagation of electromagnetic waves in the marine exploration and communication and the application of the marine development.
5. Ocean Optics
In terms of basic research, ocean optics mainly studies ocean radiative transfer process, and sea surface radiation and visibility in water, seawater optical transfer function, laser interaction with seawater and research. In the application research, it mainly studies remote sensing, laser, water in the photographic works ocean exploration method and technology research.
6. Estuarine Coastal Zone Dynamics
Estuarine coastal zone dynamics mainly studies the various movement patterns of sea water in the estuarine and coastal areas, topographic changes of estuarine and coastal areas and the driving force causing these changes. These studies have a close relationship with coastal protection and port construction.
7. Main Theories
1) Tidal theory
2) Wave theory
3) Circulation theorem
4) Marine acoustic research
5) Marine electromagnetic theory
8. Discipline Outlook
1) The improvement of observation technique and observation method.
2) Further study of the law of physical phenomena in the ocean.
3) Further serving the development of marine resources.