Sun Yat-sen University ( Zhongshan University )

FAQ about Sun Yat-sen University, China

1. I really want to study at your University, but I can’t speak Chinese, can I be instructed in English?

Answer: The program is fully English medium program.

2. How is the living standard in Guangzhou city? What about the canteen in the University?

Answer: The living standard here is superior, for example, about 200 USD for your food per month. There is special canteen and western food for international students.

3. How can I arrive in Guangzhou city, the location of University?

Answer: Guangzhou is an international city in China. There are many international flights directly to many countries and regions throughout the world.

4. Can you send a vehicle to take us from the local airport to the University?

Answer: Sun Yat-sen University offers free airport pick-up service to international students in group from the local airport - Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport to the campus. But international students should send detailed departure, transfer, arrival schedule and name of the airport to us minimum 3 days in advance so that the university can pick up without any delay.

5. How can I exchange some Chinese currency for my pocket money when I just arrived in China?

Answer: Students can exchange some Chinese currency in bank for shuttle/bus ticket fare and pocket money in the big international airport when they arrive in China. And students can buy telephone card from business counter in the airport to give international call and domestic call if students need.

6. How are the transportation, telecom and internet in Guangzhou City?

Answer: Guangzhou has Southern Airlines, Air China, Eastern Airlines, other major domestic airlines and a number of foreign airlines. The Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport has over 50 international flight lines and 100 domestic flight lines. The terminal can handle 100 million passengers and 2.5 million tons of cargo per year. The Jingjiu Railway passes Guangzhou, starting from the Beijing West Railway Station, through 98 cities and counties of Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei Province, Shandong Province, Henan Province, Anhui Province, Hubei Province, Jiangxi Province and Guangdong Province, ending at Kowloon of Hong Kong. This north-south railway reaches a length of 2,553 km. Tibet railroad from Guangzhou to Lhasa was opened on October 1st 2006. The first passenger train from Guangzhou to Sanya departed from Guangzhou Station on April 17th, 2007. To strengthen its transportation capacity, Guangzhou has built a number of intercity express ways, Elevated roads, highway bridges and cross-river tunnels. There are long-distance buses between Guangzhou and the adjacent regions, and express buses between Guangzhou and Hong Kong. Intra-city transportation consists of buses, tramways, special route buses and subways.

There are convenient public facilities for telecom and internet, you can buy telecom card to call in any time. There is internet access in international students’ dormitories and they just need to pay the fees according to their use. There are also lots of internet pubs for going on internet.

7. How is the climate in Guangzhou City?

Answer: Guangzhou enjoys a subtropical monsoon climate. There is neither intense heat in summer nor severe cold in winter. It enjoys plenty rainfall and evergreen in four seasons. The average temperature is 22.8°C (73.04°F), the average relative humidity is about 68%, and the annual rainfall at the urban area is over 1,600 mm.

8. How is China’s Engineering Education in the world?

Answer: China is the largest producer of engineering graduates in the world.

9. How is China’s Business and Management Education in the world?

Answer: China has become the second largest economic entity, which has made China an influential role in the global economy.

10. Can a student open a Bank Account?

Answer: Yes, a student could open a bank account in his name to keep his surplus money safe. He could also use this account to have his family remit any additional money as required.

11. Is learning Chinese language compulsory?

Answer: Even though the program is instructed in English, but international students must study Chinese language according to Ministry of Education, China. Chinese language classes are just offered in the first two years, three times per week, and international students are required to pass the basic level. Besides, it will be helpful for students in daily life if they learn some Chinese language.

12. What is the voltage used in China?

Answer: The voltage here is 220 V. Converters and power strips may be purchased locally.

13. Useful public contact number in China:


Fire: 119

Police Station: 110

Time Report: 12117

Telephone Directory: 114

Telephone Repair: 112

Emergency Ambulance: 120

Earthquake Advisory Service: 2042691



The final information is subject to the University If there is any discrepancy!