Computer Integrated Manufacturing System (CIMS) is a kind of system that using computer technology, organically integrates different isolated automation subsystem which scattered in the process of product design manufacturing based on information technology and manufacturing automation technology. This system is suitable for multi variety and small batch production and benefit for integration and intelligence of overall efficiency.
2. System Structure of CIMS
Production and manufacturing system, hard transaction processing system, technology design system, soft transaction processing system, information service system, decision management system.
3. Classification of CIMS
In perspective of manufacturing: discrete manufacturing, continuous manufacturing and hybrid manufacturing
In perspective of system structure: centralized type, distributed type and hybrid type
4 Technology Components of CIMS
1) Advanced Manufacturing Technology: traditional manufacturing technology continue to absorb good result in the field of machinery, electronics, information, material, energy and modern management and then comprehensively apply these results on whole manufacturing process of product design, manufacturing, testing, management, sales, use, and service. All these help to complete production with good quality, high efficiency, low consumption in clean and flexible way and help to get manufacturing technology of the economic effect in ideal technology.
2) Agile Manufacturing: Agile manufacturing refers to choose cooperation to form a virtual company based on competitiveness and reputation, and then work together to enhance overall competitive ability for the same target. The company can give rapid response to customer’s requirements to meet their needs.
3) Virtual Manufacturing: Virtual manufacturing refers to conduct comprehensive simulation of people, material, information and manufacturing process in real manufacturing activity with information technology, simulation technology, and computer technology in order to find out the problems that may arise in the manufacturing. Virtual manufacturing can take preventive measures before actual production, so as to achieve the product manufacturing successfully at once, cut down the cost, shorten the product development cycle, and enhance competitiveness of their products.
4) Concurrent Engineering: Concurrent engineering is system method of integrated and concurrent design of product and their related processes (including manufacturing processes and support processes).
5. Benefits of CIMS
1) Improve labor productivity to bring profits for enterprises and increase national income;
2) Enhance strain capacity and ability to resist risk of enterprise, and is benefit for enterprise realizing business strategy;
3) Improve market competitiveness of enterprises and promote technological progress;
4) Improve quality and technical level of all staff in enterprise;
5) Save natural resources;
6) Optimize industrial structure and is benefit for developing new industries.