Harbin Engineering University

FAQ about Harbin Engineering University, China

1. I really want to study at your University, but I can’t speak Chinese, can I be instructed in English?

Answer: The program is fully English medium program. 

2. How is the living standard in Harbin city? What about the canteen in the University?

Answer: The living expense here is moderate, for example, about 150 USD for your food per month. Two Catering Centers including a Muslim canteen of Harbin Engineering University provide delicious and clean food to international students. Both common dishes and specialty dishes are available.

3. How can I arrive in Harbin city, the location of University?

Answer: If there is no direct flight to Harbin, then the recommended flight is transit from Beijing to Harbin (around 2 hour). 

4. Can you send a vehicle to take us from the local airport to the University?

Answer: Harbin Engineering University can provide airport pick up service for international students in group from local airport – Harbin Taiping International Airport to the campus. It is around 75-105 minutes from the airport to the University. But students should send detailed departure, transfer and arrival schedule to us minimum 3 days in advance so that the university can pick up without any delay. Airport Pick-up Service is only available during Registration time.

5. How can I exchange some Chinese currency for my pocket money when I just arrived in China?

Answer: Students can exchange some Chinese currency in bank for shuttle/bus ticket fare and pocket money in big Airport when they arrive in China. And students can buy telephone card from business counter in the airport to give international call and domestic call if students need. 

6. How are the transportation, telecom and internet in Harbin City? 

Answer: there is one international airport and one train station. There are convenient public facilities for telecom and internet, you can buy telecom card to call any time and there are lots of public internet bars.

7. How is the climate in Harbin City?

Answer: The climate of Harbin is characterized by distinct four seasons, with long and cold winter, short and hot summer. And the annual mean temperature is 4.25 °C (39.6 °F).

8. How is China’s Engineering Education in the world?

Answer: China is a largest producer of engineering graduates in the world. 

9.How is China’s Business and Management Education in the world?

Answer: China has become the second largest economy and this has influential role in the global economy. 

10. Can a student open a Bank Account? 

Answer: Yes, a student could open a bank account in his name to keep his surplus money safe. He could also use this account to have his family remit any additional money as required. 

11. Is learning Chinese language compulsory? 

Answer: Even though the program is taught in English, but international students must study Chinese language according to Ministry of Education, China. Chinese language classes are just offered three times per week, and international students are required to pass the basic level. Besides, it will be helpful for students in daily life if they learn some Chinese language.

12. What is the voltage used in China? 

Answer: The voltage here is 220 V. Converters and power strips may be purchased locally.

13. Useful public contact number in China:


Fire: 119

Police Station: 110

Time Report: 12117

Telephone Directory: 114

Telephone Repair: 112

Emergency Ambulance: 120

Earthquake Advisory Service: 2042691



The final information is subject to the University If there is any discrepancy!